As a noun prison
is a place of long-term confinement for those convicted of serious crimes, or otherwise considered undesirable by the government.
As a verb prison
is to imprison.
As an adjective correctional is
of, pertaining to, or intended for correction.
A place of long-term confinement for those convicted of serious crimes, or otherwise considered undesirable by the government.
(uncountable) Confinement in prison.
- The cold stone walls of the prison had stood for over a century.
(colloquial) Any restrictive environment, such as a harsh academy or home.
- Prison was a harrowing experience for him.
- The academy was a prison for many of its students because of its strict teachers.
* (place) bridewell; see also .
* (confinement) imprisonment
* (place) gaol, jail
* prison camp
* prison cell
* prison chaser
* prison guard
* prison officer
* prison record
* prison sentence
* prison warden
Of, pertaining to, or intended for correction.
(chiefly, US) Of or pertaining to the imprisonment or rehabilitation of convicted criminals.
- correctional''' officer'', '''''correctional''' policy'', '''''correctional services .
* correctional facility
* correctional institution