Commodity vs Consumables - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between commodity and consumables
is that commodity
is (obsolete) convenience; usefulness, suitability while consumables
* commoditie (archaic )
(obsolete) Convenience; usefulness, suitability.
Anything movable (a good) that is bought and sold.
* 1995 , James G. Carrier, Gifts and Commodities: Exchange and Western Capitalism Since 1700 ,
* 2001 , Rachel Pain, Introducing Social Geographies ,
- If a key part of shopping is the conversion of anonymous commodities into possessions, shopping is a cultural as much as an economic activity.
* 2005 , William Leiss, Botterill, Jacki, Social Communication in Advertising: Consumption in the Mediated Marketplace ,
- In human geography "commodities'" usually refers to goods and services which are bought and sold. The simplest ' commodities are those produced by the production system just before they are sold.
*:* Referring to the work of Bourdieu, Zukin (2004,38) notes that shopping is much more than the purchase of commodities
Something useful or valuable.
* 2008 , Jan. 14th, Somerset County Gazette
(obsolete) Self-interest; personal convenience or advantage.
- And Slade said: "It really makes me sad that football club chairmen and boards seem to have lost that most precious commodity - patience. "Sam's sacking at Newcastle had, I suppose, been on the cards for a while, but it is really ridiculous to fire a manager after such a short time.
*, NYRB, 2001, vol.1, p.321:
- Shall we employ the intelligence Heaven hath bestowed upon us for our greatest good, to our ruine? repugning natures desseign and the universal order and vicissitude of things, which implieth that every man should use his instruments and meanes for his owne commoditie ?
(economics) Raw materials, agricultural and other primary products as objects of large-scale trading in specialized exchanges.
- they commonly respect their own ends, commodity is the steer of all their action.
(marketing) Undifferentiated goods characterized by a low profit margin, as distinguished from branded products.
- The price of crude oil is determined in continuous trading between professional players in World's many commodities exchanges.
(Marxism) Anything which has both a use-value and an exchange-value.
- Although they were once in the forefront of consumer electronics, the calculators have become a mere commodity .