Splice vs Connection - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between splice and connection
is that splice
is (nautical) a junction or joining of ropes made by splicing them together while connection
is (uncountable) the act of connecting.
As a verb splice
is to unite, as two ropes, or parts of a rope, by a particular manner of interweaving the strands, -- the union being between two ends, or between an end and the body of a rope.
(nautical) A junction or joining of ropes made by splicing them together.
(electrical) The electrical and mechanical connection between two pieces of wire or cable.
(cricket) That part of a bat where the handle joins the blade.
Bonding or joining of overlapping materials.
* bent on a splice
* comma splice
* cut splice
* cunt splice
* eye splice
* splice tape
To unite, as two ropes, or parts of a rope, by a particular manner of interweaving the strands, -- the union being between two ends, or between an end and the body of a rope.
To unite, as spars, timbers, rails, etc., by lapping the two ends together, or by applying a piece which laps upon the two ends, and then binding, or in any way making fast.
(slang) To unite in marriage.
* 1851 ,
(figuratively) To unite as if splicing.
- But come, it's getting dreadful late, you had better be turning flukes--it's a nice bed; Sal and me slept in that ere bed the night we were spliced .
- He argues against attempts to splice different genres or species of literature into a single composition.
* splice the mainbrace
* connexion , (abbreviation)
(uncountable) The act of connecting.
The point at which two or more things are connected.
- the connection between overeating and obesity
- My headache has no connection with me going out last night.
, date=April 15
, title=Morning swoop in hunt for Jodi's killer
, work=The Scotsman
, passage=A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "We can confirm that a 15-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in connection with the murder of Jodi Jones. A 45-year-old has also been arrested in connection
with allegations of attempting to pervert the course of justice. A report on this has been sent to the procurator fiscal." }}
A feeling of understanding and ease of communication between two or more people.
An established communications or transportation link.
- As we were the only people in the room to laugh at the joke, I felt a connection between us.
- computers linked by a network connection
(transport) A transfer from one transportation vehicle to another in scheduled transportation service
- I was talking to him, but there was lightning and we lost the connection .
A kinship relationship between people.
- The bus was late so he missed his connection at Penn Station and had to wait six hours for the next train.