As nouns the difference between girlfriend and confidante
is that girlfriend
is a female partner in a romantic relationship while confidante
is a female confidant.
A female partner in a romantic relationship.
A female friend.
- Marc went to the park with his girlfriend and watched the sunset with her.
- Mary always enjoyed hanging out with her girlfriend Jessica.
* (female friend) chickfriend (slang)
* The term is used to describe any girl or woman in a romantic relationship with another person.
* An adult woman in such a non-marital relationship is sometimes described instead as a significant other'' or ''partner'', especially if the two partners are living together. Since ''girlfriend'' and ''partner mean different things to different people, the distinctions between the terms are subjective, and which term is used in a relationship will ultimately be determined by personal preference.
* The use of girlfriend for a female non-romantic friend of another female is limited in geographic distribution and sometimes preferred by older generations of speakers.
* girl friend
female partner in a romantic relationship
* significant other
* lady friend
a female friend
A female confidant
A type of settee.
*1982 , (TC Boyle), Water Music , Penguin 2006, p. 20:
*:Meanwhile, Sally peels herself from the stage's only prop – a green-velvet confidante – and staggers off into the wings.