Compassion vs Condolences - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between compassion and condolences
is that compassion
is deep awareness of the suffering of another, coupled with the wish to relieve it while condolences
As a verb compassion
is (obsolete) to pity.
As an interjection condolences is
Deep awareness of the suffering of another, coupled with the wish to relieve it
* 1849 , Robert Leighton (Archbishop of Glasgow), A practical commentary upon the first Epistle of St. Peter (page 47)
- Oh! the unspeakable privilege to have Him for our Father, who is the Father of mercies and compassions , and those not barren, fruitless pityings, for He is withal the God of all consolations.
* empathy, pity, ruth, tenderheartedness, sorrow
* kindness, heart, mercy
* compassion fatigue
(obsolete) To pity.
* 1607 , , IV. i. 124:
- O heavens, can you hear a good man groan / And not relent, or not compassion him?
(plural only) comfort, support, or sympathy offered to the family and friends of somebody who has died
- I sent her a card expressing my condolences after her mother passed away.