From (etyl) dumb, from (etyl) .
In ordinary spoken English, a phrase like "He is dumb" is interpreted as "He is stupid" rather than "He lacks the power of speech". The latter example, however, is the original sense of the word. The senses of stupid'', ''unintellectual'', and ''pointless developed under the influence of the (etyl) word dumm.
(label) Unable to speak; lacking power of speech.
(label) Silent; unaccompanied by words.
- to unloose the very tongues even of dumb creatures
- dumb show
* J. C. Shairp
- This spirit, dumb to us, will speak to him.
- to pierce into the dumb past
(label) Pointless, foolish, lacking intellectual content or value.
- You are so dumb ! You don't even know how to make toast!
- This is dumb ! We're driving in circles! We should have asked for directions an hour ago!
Lacking brightness or clearness, as a colour.
* De Foe
- Brendan had the dumb job of moving boxes from one conveyor belt to another.
- Her stern was painted of a dumb white or dun color.
* (unable to speak) dumbstruck, mute, speechless, wordless
* (stupid) feeble-minded, idiotic, moronic, stupid
* banal, brainless, dopey, silly, stupid, ridiculous, vulgar
* dumb as a box of rocks
From (etyl) dumbien, from (etyl) dumbian (more commonly in compound .
* 1911 , Lindsay Swift, William Lloyd Garrison , p. 272,
To make stupid.
* 2003 , Angela Calabrese Barton, Teaching Science for Social Justice , p. 124,
- The paralysis of the Northern conscience, the dumbing of the Northern voice, were coming to an end.
To represent as stupid.
* 2004 , Stephen Oppenheimer, The Real Eve: Modern Man's Journey Out of Africa , p. 107,
- I think she's dumbing us down, so we won't be smarter than her.
To reduce the intellectual demands of.
* 2002 , Deborah Meier, In Schools We Trust: Creating Communities of Learning in an Era of Testing , p. 126,
- Bad-mouthing Neanderthals . . . is symptomatic of a need to exclude and even demonize. . . . I suggest that the unproven dumbing of the Neanderthals is an example of the same cultural preconception.
- The ensuing storm caused the department to lower the bar—amid protests that this was dumbing the test down—so that only 80 percent of urban kids would fail.
* dumb blonde
* dumb down
* dumb terminal
* play dumb
Lacking knowledge or understanding; uninformed.
* See also
* See also