A leader of a clan or tribe.
A leader of a group, e.g. a robbers' chieftain.
* (A very powerful person) chief, big gun, big shot, big wheel, bigwig, boss, employer, foreman, head, heid bummer, leader, mandarin, manager, mover and shaker, top banana, top dog, tycoon
(senseid)A leader or head of a group of people, organisation, etc.
* 1994 , Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom , Abacus 2010, p. 4:
(heraldiccharge) The top part of a shield or escutcheon.
* 1889 , Charles Norton Elvin, A Dictionary of Heraldry :
- My father, Gadla Henry Mphakanyiswa, was a chief by both blood and custom.
(senseid)A head officer in a department, organization etc.; a boss.
- When the Chief' is Charged with any figure, in blazon it is said to be "''On a '''Chief ".
An informal address to an equal.
- All firefighters report to the fire chief .
- Hey, chief.
* See also
* chief constable
* chief executive
* chief executive officer/CEO
* chief legal officer
* chief mate
* chief of staff
* chief of state
* chief petty officer
* commander in chief
* dexter chief
* editor in chief
* fire chief
* in chief
* police chief
* war chief
- Negligence was the chief cause of the disaster.