As nouns the difference between chaff and chaffing
is that chaff
is the inedible parts of a grain-producing plant while chaffing
is the act by which somebody is chaffed; a teasing.
As verbs the difference between chaff and chaffing
is that chaff
is to use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter while chaffing
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
The inedible parts of a grain-producing plant.
- To separate out the chaff , early cultures tossed baskets of grain into the air and let the wind blow away the lighter chaff.
By extension, any excess or unwanted material, resource, or person; anything worthless.
- So take the corn and leave the chaff behind.
- There are plenty of good books on the subject, but take care to separate the wheat from the chaff .
Loose material dropped from aircraft specifically to interfere with radar detection.
Straw or hay cut up fine for the food of cattle.
- the chaff and ruin of the times
Light jesting talk; banter; raillery.
- By adding chaff' to his corn, the horse must take more time to eat it. In this way ' chaff is very useful.
* separate the wheat from the chaff
To use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter.
To make fun of; to turn into ridicule by addressing in ironical or bantering language; to quiz.
The act by which somebody is chaffed; a teasing.
* 1883 , (Edward Payson Roe), His Sombre Rivals
- Grace had made Graham laugh many a time by her inimitable descriptions of the quaint tilts and chaffings of these graybeards, as each urged the views of his favorite journals