The word probably has an origin in : see ‘pa’ .
(nonstandard, or, rural) Father; pa.
* (father :) pawpaw, pa, papa, father, dad, daddy, pappy
* (father :) parent
* (father :) step-paw
* maw, brother, sis/sissy
(etyl) pawe'', from (etyl) '' *''p?ta'' (compare Dutch ''poot'', Low German Pote, German ''Pfote''), from *''p?ton'' 'to put, stick, plant' (compare Dutch ''poten'' 'to plant'), from (etyl) 'paw'), Ancient Greek "????". More at put.
The soft foot of a mammal or other animal, generally a quadruped, that has claws or nails; comparable to a human hand or foot.
(humorous) A hand.
- Get your grubby paws off my things!
* (of a mammal :) hand, foot
* (foot of a mammal :) limb extremity
* claw, finger
* hoof, talon
* paw (verb )
From the noun paw'', meaning ''an animal's hand or foot .
(of an animal) To go through something (such as a garbage can) with paws
(of an animal) To gently push on something with a paw.
(of an animal) To draw the forefoot along the ground; to beat or scrape with the forefoot.
* Bible, Job xxxix. 21
(by extension, of a human) To touch someone (with the hands) in a sexual way.
* August 17 1997 , Robert Spector, in misc.fitness.weights :
- He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.
* October 26 1997 , Verbotene, quoted by Amy McWilliams, in rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc :
- IronMan used to be good in this way, back in the '80s. They wouldn't subscribe to the old, "Let's put a male bodybuilder with silicone babes pawing him" cover that's mainstay now.
* July 18 2002 , Lurker Dave, in rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe :
- So, Katherine was out with Luke and they were both quite dolled up and swoon-worthy. Katherine fawned all over Luke and pawed him, but to what end? Was Stefan supposed to believe that Luke and Katherine have some sort of a thing going? What was the point of this display from Katherine's perspective?
(by extension, of a human) To clumsily dig through something.
- Subtlety is great, but what exactly happened with Jessica and the cop during sex that he locked her up afterwards? Also, what was the item she nicked from his shirt while she pawed him?
* (to go through something with paws) handle
* (to gently push on something) touch
* paw off
(slang, rare) The loaflike form of a domestic cat sitting with paws and tail tucked underneath the body.
* 1999 , "Ailsa N Murphy", RIP, Silver-The-Cat'' (on Internet newsgroup ''rec.arts.sf.fandom )
* 2004 , "Franz Bestuchev", catloaf'' (on Internet newsgroup ''alt.support.depression )
- And Gary never got to see him do the full catloaf , where he curled up face-down so that all that stuck out were the tips of his ears. I never got a picture of that, either.
- One must often attend to the tail and ensure it remains tucked and not become flippant, so as to maintain a catloaf of presentable form.