Caribbean vs Voodoo - What's the difference?
Pertaining to the sea and region of the western Atlantic bounded by South America, Central America, and the islands of the West Indies (such as Cuba and Hispaniola).
(en proper noun
The Caribbean Sea
The countries that occupy the region of the western Atlantic bounded by South America, Central America, and the islands of the West Indies (such as Cuba and Hispaniola)
A religion of the Ewe/Fon of West Africa, practiced chiefly in Benin.
Any of a group of related religious practices found chiefly in and around the Caribbean, particularly in Haiti and Louisiana.
(pejorative) Any sort of magical or irrational approach to a problem.
(dated) One who practices voodoo; a native sorcerer.
* 1889 , Longman's Magazine (volume 14, page 557)
- I want a real explanation, not this statistical voodoo .
- So a reporter of the Boston Herald (U.S.) has 'interviewed' a few local Voodoos . He has seen a dance round a boiling pot, seen some tomfoolery with spiders, and heard a lot of superstitious nonsense.
* (religion of Africa or the Americas) vodoun, voudoun, vodun, voudou, Voodoo
* (religion) voodooism
* voodoo death
* voodoo doll
* voodoo economics
* voodoo programming
* voodoo science
To bewitch someone or something using
- He claimed his neighbor had voodooed him.
* (Haitian Vodou)
* (West African Vodun)