Mistake vs Carelessness - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between mistake and carelessness
is that mistake
is an error; a blunder while carelessness
is lack of care.
As a verb mistake
is to understand wrongly, taking one thing for another, or someone for someone else.
An error; a blunder.
* 1877 , Henry Heth, quoting , in "Causes of the Defeat of Gen. Lee's Army at the Battle of GettysburgOpinions of Leading Confederate Soldiers.", Southern Historical Society Papers (1877), editor Rev. J. WM. Jones [http://books.google.com/books?id=iDIFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA292&dq=lee+%22mistakes+were+made%22&hl=en&ei=fchaTbu4L8L98AaVs4n-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=lee%20%22mistakes%20were%20made%22&f=false]
(baseball) A pitch which was intended to be pitched in a hard to hit location, but instead ends up in an easy to hit place
- After it is all over, as stupid a fellow as I am can see that mistakes' were made. I notice, however, that my ' mistakes are never told me until it is too late.
* See also
* Usually make a mistake. See
To understand wrongly, taking one thing for another, or someone for someone else.
- Sorry, I mistook you for my brother. You look very similar.
- My father's purposes have been mistook .
To commit an unintentional error; to do or think something wrong.
* Jonathan Swift
- A man may mistake the love of virtue for the practice of it.
(obsolete, rare) To take or choose wrongly.
- Servants mistake , and sometimes occasion misunderstanding among friends.
Lack of care.
- This accident was caused by carelessness .