Mathematics vs Calculator - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between mathematics and calculator
is that mathematics
is an abstract representational system used in the study of numbers, shapes, structure, change and the relationships between these concepts while calculator
is a mechanical or electronic device that performs mathematical calculations.
* mathematicks (obsolete)
An abstract representational system used in the study of numbers, shapes, structure, change and the relationships between these concepts.
* 2001 , David Salsburg, The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century , page 8
* 2002 , Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos , page 38
- In many cases, the mathematics involved are deep and complicated.
A person's ability to count, calculate, and use different systems of mathematics at differing levels.
- The answer is 'yes', and the mathematics needed is the theory of probability and its applied cousin, statistics.
- My mathematics is not very good.
- Their mathematics are not very good.
- Their mathematics is not very good.
* Before the beginning of the 20th century, it was proper to say "My mathematics are not very good".
* (ability to use mathematics) numeracy
* abbreviation: maths
* See also
* applied mathematics
* discrete mathematics
* pure mathematics
* recreational mathematics
Mathematics using gifts
A mechanical or electronic device that performs mathematical calculations.
(dated) A person who performs mathematical calculation
A person who calculates (in the sense of scheming).
(obsolete) A set of mathematical tables.
* (electronic device) electronic calculator, pocket calculator
* (mechanical device) adding machine
* (person who performs mathematical calculations) computer (dated)
* (person who schemes) plotter, schemer
* (mathematical tables) ready reckoner, tables
* electronic calculator
* pocket calculator
* ready reckoner
* slide rule