A person who was born out of wedlock, and hence often considered an illegitimate descendant.
A mongrel. A biological cross between different breeds, groups or varieties.
(vulgar, referring to a man) A contemptible, inconsiderate, overly or arrogantly rude or spiteful person. See asshole, sod.
- Some bastard stole my car while I was helping an injured person.
:: "Oh my God, they killed Kenny! "You bastards !"
- 1997 , television program
- I'll tell you one thing, you prick bastard , you know what I really hope for, pray for, and wish for?
- This makes them realize they're human and maybe makes them less likely to be insensitive to the people they have to come in contact with because if they act too much like bastards , sooner or later someone is going to pop them one.
(often, humorous) A man, a fellow, a male friend.
- Jesus you are a cold bastard , you know that?
- lucky bastard''', poor '''bastard
(often preceded by 'poor') A person deserving of pity.
- Get over here, you old bastard !
- Poor bastard , I feel so sorry for him.
(informal) A child who does not know his or her father.
(informal) Something extremely difficult or unpleasant to deal with.
- These poor bastards started out life probably in bad or broken homes.
A variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin, fake or counterfeit.
- Life can be a real bastard .
An intermediate-grade file; also bastard file.
A sweet wine.
* William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure :
- The architecture was a kind of bastard , suggesting Gothic but not being true Gothic.
A sword that is midway in length between a short-sword and a long sword; also bastard sword.
An inferior quality of soft brown sugar, obtained from syrups that have been boiled several times.
A large mould for straining sugar.
A writing paper of a particular size.
- We shall have all the world drink brown and white bastard .
* (one born to unmarried parents) Not always regarded as a (religious) stigma (in canon law prohibitive for clerical office without papal indult): Norman duke William, the Conqueror of England, is referred to in state documents as "William the Bastard"; a Burgundian prince was even officially styled Great Bastard of Burgundy.
* (illegitimate descendant): love-child, born in the vestry
* (term of abuse): son of a bitch; arsehole, asshole
(terms derived from bastard)
* bastardise, bastardize
* bastardisation, bastardization
of or like a bastard (illegitimate human descendant)
of or like a bastard (bad person)
of or like a mongrel, bastardized creature/cross
of abnormal, irregular or otherwise inferior qualities (size, shape etc.)
spurious, lacking authenticity: counterfeit, fake
- a bastard''' musket; a '''bastard culverin
(UK, vulgar) Very unpleasant.
- that bastard self-love which is so vicious in itself, and productive of so many vices
(printing) Abbreviated, as the half title in a page preceding the full title page of a book.
- I've got a bastard headache.
(rare, vulgar) Exclamation of strong dismay or strong sense of being upset.
* 2001 , (Stephen King), “(The Death of Jack Hamilton)”, in (w, Everything's Eventual) , Simon and Schuster (2007), ISBN 978-1-4165-4985-7,
* 2004 , Cecelia Ahern, PS, I Love You (novel), Hyperion, ISBN 978-1-4013-0090-6,
- Jack says, “Oh! Bastard ! I’m hit!” That bullet had to have come in the busted back window and how it missed Johnnie to hit Jack I don’t know.
* 2006 , Emily Franklin, Love from London , Penguin, ISBN 978-0-451-21773-8,
- “Yes, I’m hhhhowwwwwwcch!” she yelped as she stubbed her toe against the bedpost. “Shit, shit, fuck, bastard , shit, crap!”
- “Isn’t she lovely?” Clem asks, hopefully rhetorically. “Oh, bastard . I’ve got to go—that’s my signal. ”
(obsolete) To bastardize.
- (Francis Bacon)
Any of several large terrestrial birds of the family Otididae that inhabit dry open country and steppes in the Old World.
* , Ardeotis arabs
* , Ardeotis australis
* , Lissotis melanogaster
* , Lophotis gindiana
* , Neotis denhami
* , Otis tarda
* , Ardeotis nigriceps
* , Lissotis hartlaubii
* , Neotis heuglinii
* , Chlamydotis undulata
* , Ardeotis kori
* , Eupodotis humilis
* little bustard, Tetrax tetrax
* , Neotis ludwigii
* , Chlamydotis macqueenii
* , Neotis nuba
* , Lophotis savilei
* , Eupodotis senegalensis