(label) Exceptionally ugly.
*1896 , David Macbeth Moir, Conjugal Amenities :
*2000 , Richard Spears, NTC's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions :
- She has immense white teeth that snap, and a bugly bonnet, with one dismal ostrich feather wobbling sternly on end.
*2010 , Denise Mina, Still Midnight :
- I have never seen such a bugly guy in my life!
- “For every ugly there's a bugly .” She smiled.
* (l) (dialectal)
(usually, of a man) Large, well-built, and muscular.
- He's a big, burly rugby player who works as a landscape gardener.
(slang) Originating from the east end of London, England. An expressive term to mean something is good, awesome, amazing, unbelievable. e.g That goal was burly, or Räikkönen is a burly Formula 1 driver.
(slang) Originating from surfer culture and/or Southern California. An expressive term to mean something is of large magnitude, either good or bad, and sometimes both.
- She was frankly disappointed. For some reason she had thought to discover a burglar of one or another accepted type—either a dashing cracksman in full-blown evening dress, lithe, polished, pantherish, or a common yegg, a red-eyed, unshaven burly brute in the rags and tatters of a tramp.
- That wave was burly ! (i.e. large, dangerous and difficult to ride)
- This hike is going to be burly , but worth it because there is good body surfing at that beach.