Wud vs Bud - What's the difference?
As an adjective wud
is (dialectal) mad.
As a proper noun bud is
a male nickname or bud
can be (informal) a nickname for the beer.
* 1887 , '', from ''The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables ,
- Janet ran to him - she was fair wud wi' terror - an' clang to him, an' prayed him, for Christ's sake, save her frae the cummers; an' they, for their pairt, tauld him a' that was ken't, and maybe mair.
From (etyl) budde 'bud, seedpod', from (etyl) .
A newly formed leaf or flower that has not yet unfolded.
(usually uncountable, slang) Potent cannabis taken from the flowering part of the plant (the bud ), or marijuana generally.
- After a long, cold winter, the trees finally began to produce buds .
A small rounded body in the process of splitting from an organism, which may grow into a genetically identical new organism.
- Hey bro, want to smoke some bud ?
A weaned calf in its first year, so called because the horns are then beginning to bud.
- In this slide, you can see a yeast cell forming buds .
* (marijuana) nug; see also
* taste bud
* bud of promise
To form buds.
To reproduce by splitting off buds.
- The trees are finally starting to bud .
To begin to grow, or to issue from a stock in the manner of a bud, as a horn.
To be like a bud in respect to youth and freshness, or growth and promise.
- Yeast reproduces by budding .
- a budding virgin
(informal) Buddy, friend.
(informal) (used to address a male)
- I like to hang out with my buds on Saturday night.
* See also