Brothel vs Professor - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between brothel and professor
is that brothel
is a wretch; a depraved person; a lewd man or woman or brothel
can be a house of prostitution while professor
is a teacher or faculty member at a college or university.
From (etyl) brothel, brodel, brodelle, .
A wretch; a depraved person; a lewd man or woman.
An abbreviation of ‘brothel-house’, ultimately from Old English , see above.
A house of prostitution.
* escort agency
* house of ill fame
* house of ill reputation
* house of ill repute
* knocking shop
* leaping house
* massage parlour
* pushing school
* red house
* sporting house
* vaulting school
* red-light district
* professour (archaic)
A teacher or faculty member at a college or university.
A higher ranking for a teacher or faculty member at a college or university. Abbreviated
An honorific title for a higher ranking teacher. (Capitalised)
(archaic) One who professes.
* 1897 , Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers (transl.) The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage'', Introduction, p. ''v :
- Professor Plum'' or ''Prof. Plum .
(US, slang) A pianist in a saloon, brothel, etc.
* 2006 , Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day , Vintage 2007, p. 415:
- This period in which Abraham the Jew lived was one in which Magic was almost universally believed in, and in which its Professors were held in honour;
The puppeteer who performs a Punch and Judy show; a Punchman.
- You could hear [...] pianos under the hands of whorehouse professors sounding like they came with keys between the keys.
* adjunct professor
* assistant professor
* associate professor
* full professor