Significant vs Brilliant - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between significant and brilliant
is that significant
is signifying something; carrying meaning while brilliant
is shining brightly.
As nouns the difference between significant and brilliant
is that significant
is that which has significance; a sign; a token; a symbol while brilliant
is a finely cut gemstone, especially a diamond, having many facets.
Signifying something; carrying meaning.
* Sir Walter Raleigh
- a significant''' word or sound; a '''significant look
Having a covert or hidden meaning.
Having a noticeable or major effect; notable.
- It was well said of Plotinus, that the stars were significant , but not efficient.
- That was a significant step in the right direction.
Reasonably large in number or amount.
(statistics) Having a low probability of occurring by chance (for example, having high correlation and thus likely to be related).
- The First World War was a significant event.
That which has significance; a sign; a token; a symbol.
- In dumb significants proclaim your thoughts.
(of a colour) Both bright and saturated.
- the brilliant lights along the promenade
(of a voice or sound) having a sharp, clear tone
Of surpassing excellence.
- butterflies with brilliant blue wings
Magnificent or wonderful.
- The actor's performance in the play was simply brilliant .
- She is a brilliant scientist.
* (shining brightly) glittering, shining
* (surpassing excellence) excellent, distinctive, striking, superb (obsolete except in UK usage)
* (magnificent or wonderful) exceptional, glorious, magnificent, marvellous/marvelous, splendid, wonderful (obsolete except in UK usage)
* (highly intelligent) brainy, ingenious
* See also
A finely cut gemstone, especially a diamond, having many facets.
* Alexander Pope
* 1891 , Arthur Conan Doyle, A Case of Identity
- This snuffbox — on the hinge see brilliants shine.
(printing) A small size of type.
A kind of cotton goods, figured on the weaving.
- “And the ring?” I asked, glancing at a remarkable brilliant which sparkled upon his finger.