A person who fights, a combatant.
A warrior; fighting soldier.
A pugnacious, competitive person.
A class of fixed-wing aircraft whose primary purpose is that of shooting down other aircraft. Some of these (Fighter-Attack or Attack aircraft) also have a secondary purpose of attacking ground targets.
A boxer or participant in any martial art.
(colloquial) A firefighter
(video games) A game with a focus on physical combat.
* 2004 , Simon Carless, Gaming Hacks (page 59)
- Still, it's excellent software, especially for one-on-one fighting titles such as the King Of Fighters series, classic Street Fighter II variants, and newer one-on-one fighters such as Garou.
* cage fighter
* freedom fighter
* (aircraft) fighter-bomber, fighter-interceptor, fighter plane, foo fighter, fighter jet, stealth fighter, strike fighter
One who brawls, engages in noisy, unseemly fights.
* 1604 Shakespeare, Othello , .
- ''The world hath noted, and your name is great
- ''In mouths of wisest censure: what's the matter,
- ''That you unlace your reputation thus
- ''And spend your rich opinion for the name
- ''Of a night-brawler ? give me answer to it.
- ''A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
- ''Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler , not covetous;
- ''One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
- (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) — 1 Timothy 3:2-5, KJV.