Voodoo vs Bocor - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between voodoo and bocor
is that voodoo
is voodoo while bocor
is a haitian priest involved with voodoo.
A religion of the Ewe/Fon of West Africa, practiced chiefly in Benin.
Any of a group of related religious practices found chiefly in and around the Caribbean, particularly in Haiti and Louisiana.
(pejorative) Any sort of magical or irrational approach to a problem.
(dated) One who practices voodoo; a native sorcerer.
* 1889 , Longman's Magazine (volume 14, page 557)
- I want a real explanation, not this statistical voodoo .
- So a reporter of the Boston Herald (U.S.) has 'interviewed' a few local Voodoos . He has seen a dance round a boiling pot, seen some tomfoolery with spiders, and heard a lot of superstitious nonsense.
* (religion of Africa or the Americas) vodoun, voudoun, vodun, voudou, Voodoo
* (religion) voodooism
* voodoo death
* voodoo doll
* voodoo economics
* voodoo programming
* voodoo science
To bewitch someone or something using
- He claimed his neighbor had voodooed him.
* (Haitian Vodou)
* (West African Vodun)
A Haitian priest involved with voodoo.
* 1989 , James Albert Michener, Caribbean
- The corpse is buried in all solemnity, and two days later, at dead of night, the bocor digs it up, stops feeding it salt, and has himself a zombie.