Delivery vs Birth - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between delivery and birth
is that delivery
is the act of conveying something while birth
is (uncountable) the process of childbearing; the beginning of life.
As an adjective birth is
a familial relationship established by childbirth.
As a verb birth is
(dated|or|regional) to bear or give birth to (a child).
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
The act of conveying something.
- The delivery was completed by four.
The item which has been conveyed.
- delivery of a nuclear missile to its target
The act of giving birth
- Your delivery is on the table.
(baseball) A pitching motion.
- The delivery was painful.
(baseball) A thrown pitch.
- ''His delivery has a catch in it.
The manner of speaking.
- ''Here is the delivery ; ... strike three!
* 1919 ,
- The actor's delivery was flawless.
- I shall not tell what Dr. Coutras related to me in his words, but in my own, for I cannot hope to give at second hand any impression of his vivacious delivery .
, date=June 3
, author=Nathan Rabin
, title=TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Mr. Plow” (season 4, episode 9; originally aired 11/19/1992)
, passage=Half of the comedy in West’s self-deprecating appearance on “Mr. Plow” comes from the veteran actor’s purring, self-satisfied delivery
as he tells a deeply unnerved Bart and Lisa of the newfangled, less groovy cinematic Batman}}
(medicine) administration of a drug
(cricket) A ball .
(curling) The process of throwing a stone.
- Drug delivery system .
* delivery room
* special delivery
(uncountable) The process of childbearing; the beginning of life.
(countable) An instance of childbirth.
(countable) A beginning or start; a point of origin.
- Intersex babies account for roughly one per cent of all births .
(uncountable) The circumstances of one's background, ancestry, or upbringing.
- the birth of an empire
- He was of noble birth , but fortune had not favored him.
That which is born.
* Ben Jonson
- elected without reference to birth , but solely for qualifications
- Poets are far rarer births than kings.
- Others hatch their eggs and tend the birth till it is able to shift for itself.
* (beginning of life) death
A familial relationship established by childbirth.
- Her birth father left when she was a baby; she was raised by her mother and stepfather.
* biological, blood, consanguineous
(dated, or, regional) To bear or give birth to (a child).
* 1939 ,
(figuratively) To produce, give rise to.
* 2006 , R. Bruce Hull, Infinite Nature , University of Chicago Press, ISBN 9780226359441,
- "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!"
- Biological evolution created a human mind that enabled cultural evolution, which now outpaces and outclasses the force that birthed it.
* The term is much more common, especially in literal use.
* accident of birth
* birth control
* birth mother
* birth pangs
* birth parent
* birth pill
* birth tourism
* breech birth
* give birth
* noble birth
* virgin birth
1000 English basic words