Bibs vs Bibe - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between bibs and bibe
is that bibs
is while bibe
is chicken, pullet.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(Ireland, Newfoundland) A type of banshee whose cry indicates someone's impending death.
* 1822 , "All Hallow Eve in Ireland", in
Colburn's New Monthly Magazine and Humorist , volume IX, No XV, page 257:
* 1952 , Shaw Desmond, Love by the Dark Water , page 11:
- "... But when Jack lies on his low death-bed, with the clammy dews standing on his brow, the moaning bibe combing her yellow locks, and singing the death-wail at his casement, then will this, and all poor Delaney's other actions, appear to his darkening eye in their true colours."
* 1992 , William Nolan and Thomas P. Power, Waterford history & Society , page 628:
- Down there where the Bibe' had her hole out of which she would howl to the rising moon and to the fairy peoples that would be peeping out at the new moon only to withdraw their small heads as they heard the cry of the ' Bibe .
* 2006 , Coralie Hughes Jensen,
- He never believed in the bibe although the people were always talking of her.
Lety's Gift :
- Sophie's face grew serious. "Not the bibe . She comes when we dies."
bibe" in Story et al. Dictionary of Newfoundland English Second Edition with supplement, (Toronto, 1990)