Abdominal vs Belly - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between abdominal and belly
is that abdominal
is (zoology|obsolete) a fish of the order abdominales while belly
is the abdomen.
As an adjective abdominal
is of or pertaining to the abdomen; ventral .
As a verb belly is
to position one's belly.
Of or pertaining to the abdomen; ventral.
- abdominal muscles
(ichthyology) Having the ventral fins under the abdomen and behind the pectoral fins.
- abdominal cavity
(ichthyology) Ventral, in describing a fin. [ ]
(zoology, obsolete) Belonging to the order Abdominales of fish.
* (of or pertaining to the abdomen) ventral
* abdominal ring
(zoology, obsolete) A fish of the order Abdominales.
* (fish) Cypriniformes.
The stomach, especially a fat one.
* Bible, Jer. i. 5
The lower fuselage of an airplane.
* 1994 , Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom , Abacus 2010, p. 454:
- Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee.
The part of anything which resembles the human belly in protuberance or in cavity; the innermost part.
- There was no heat, and we shivered in the belly of the plane.
* Bible, Jonah ii. 2
- the belly of a flask, muscle, sail, or ship
(architecture) The hollow part of a curved or bent timber, the convex part of which is the back.
- Out of the belly of hell cried I.
* beer belly
* belly button/belly-button
* belly dance/belly-dance
* belly dancer/belly-dancer
* belly dancing
* belly flop, bellyflop
* belly laugh/belly-laugh
* belly of the beast
* Delhi belly
* fire in the belly
* Formerly, all the splanchnic or visceral cavities were called bellies: the lower belly being the abdomen; the middle belly, the thorax; and the upper belly, the head.
* have eyes bigger than one's belly
To position one's belly.
To swell and become protuberant; to bulge.
To cause to swell out; to fill.
- The bellying canvas strutted with the gale.
- Your breath of full consent bellied his sails.
* belly up