Gaudy vs Begaud - What's the difference?
As an adjective gaudy
is very showy or ornamented, now especially when excessive, or in a tasteless or vulgar manner.
As a noun gaudy
is one of the large beads in the rosary at which the paternoster is recited or gaudy
can be a reunion held by one of the colleges of the university of oxford for alumni, normally held during the summer vacations.
As a verb begaud is
(rare) to make gaudy.
Origin uncertain; perhaps from .
A common claim that the word derives from , is not supported by evidence (the word was in use at least half a century before Gaudí was born).
very showy or ornamented, now especially when excessive, or in a tasteless or vulgar manner
* 1813 , , Pride and Prejudice
- Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, / But not expressed in fancy; rich, not gaudy .
* 1887 , Homer Greene, Burnham Breaker
- The rooms were lofty and handsome, and their furniture suitable to the fortune of its proprietor; but Elizabeth saw, with admiration of his taste, that it was neither gaudy nor uselessly fine; with less of splendour, and more real elegance, than the furniture of Rosings.
* 2005 , Thomas Hauser & Marilyn Cole Lownes, "How Bling-bling Took Over the Ring", The Observer , 9 January 2005
- A large gaudy , flowing cravat, and an ill-used silk hat, set well back on the wearer's head, completed this somewhat noticeable costume.
(obsolete) gay; merry; festive
- Gaudy jewellery might offend some people's sense of style. But former heavyweight champion and grilling-machine entrepreneur George Foreman is philosophical about today's craze for bling-bling.
- Let's have one other gaudy night.
- And then, there he was, slim and handsome, and dressed the gaudiest and prettiest you ever saw...
* (excessively showy) tawdry, flashy, garish, kitschy
* gaudy night
One of the large beads in the rosary at which the paternoster is recited.
From Latin gaudium "joy".
A reunion held by one of the colleges of the University of Oxford for alumni, normally held during the summer vacations.
(rare) To make gaudy