As verbs the difference between encompass and befang
is that encompass
is to form a circle around; to encircle while befang
is to lay hold on; seize; grasp; catch; clutch.
To form a circle around; to encircle.
To include within its scope; to circumscribe or go round so as to surround; to enclose; to contain.
To include completely; to describe fully or comprehensively.
To go around, especially, to circumnavigate.
- This book on English grammar encompasses all irregular verbs.
- Drake encompassed the globe.
To lay hold on; seize; grasp; catch; clutch.
(obsolete) To take hold on; begin or commence upon.
(obsolete) To encompass; enclose; contain; comprehend.
- Come here an' I'll befang thee!
* Wright, The English dialect dictionary , Befang.
* Philological Society (Great Britain), A new English dictionary on historical principles , Befong.