Something Z-shaped. Found in compounds such as zed-bar.
(colloquial) (usually plural ) Sleep (as in "get some zeds").
* zee (especially in the US)
(informal) To sleep or nap. (Compare zzz, catch some z's.)
* 1991 , Jim Cartwright, Bed
* 1992 , David Robins, Tarnished vision: crime and conflict in the inner city
- Zedding hogs. Sleep sippers and spitters. Look at 'em cooking in their own snoring heat. One nose after another.
* 2007 , Polly Williams, The Yummy Mummy
- I guess I must have zedded , for I find a police officer, the same one that nicked me, shaking me.
(rare) To zigzag; to move with sharp alternating turns.
* 1931 , Reginald Rankin, The Collected Works of Lt. Colonel Sir Reginald Rankin
- "Zedding away." "God, I was having the most awful dream. That you'd got lost by the sea and I couldn't find you and something was chasing me, me and Evie."
* 1994 , Tibor Fischer, The thought gang
- We were zedding hell-bells up the hill towards Cervione, with a bank of road metal and a precipice on our left...
- Licking his lips, his hand zedded on my thigh and he commented, penetratingly, that it wasn't pussy, but that driving the unmade road wasn't at all bad.
A piece of furniture, usually flat and soft, for resting or sleeping on.
# A prepared spot to spend the night in.
# (lb) One's place of sleep or rest.
# Sleep; rest; getting to sleep.
# The time for going to sleep or resting in bed; bedtime.
# (lb) Time spent in a bed.
# (lb) Marriage.
# Sexual activity.
- George, the eldest son of his second bed .
A place, or flat surface or layer, on which something else rests or is laid.
# The bottom of a lake or other body of water.
# An area where a large number of oysters, mussels, or other sessile shellfish is found.
# A garden plot.
# A foundation or supporting surface formed of a fluid.
- Breezes blowing from beds of iris quickened her breath with their perfume; she saw the tufted lilacs sway in the wind, and the streamers of mauve-tinted wistaria swinging, all a-glisten with golden bees; she saw a crimson cardinal winging through the foliage, and amorous tanagers flashing like scarlet flames athwart the pines.
# The superficial earthwork, or ballast, of a railroad.
# The platform of a truck, trailer, railcar, or other vehicle that supports the load to be hauled.
# A shaped piece of timber to hold a cask clear of a ship’s floor; a pallet.
# The flat part of the press, on which the form is laid.
# A piece of music, normally instrumental, over which a radio DJ talks.
# (lb) Any of the sections of a dartboard with a point value, delimited by a wire.
(lb) A layer or surface.
# A deposit of ore, coal, etc.
# (lb) the smallest division of a geologic formation or stratigraphic rock series marked by well-defined divisional planes (bedding planes) separating it from layers above and below.
# (lb) The horizontal surface of a building stone.
# (lb) The lower surface of a brick, slate, or tile.
# (lb) A course of stone or brick in a wall.
Sense 1. To prepare a bed is usually to "make" the bed , or (qualifier) to "spread" the bed, the verb spread probably having been developed from bedspread.
Like many nouns denoting places where people spend time, (term) requires no article after certain prepositions: hence , and so on. The forms (term), etc. do exist, but tend to imply mere presence in the bed, without it being for the purpose of sleep.
* air bed/airbed
* alveolar bed
* apple-pie bed
* bed and breakfast
* bed blocker
* bed check
* bed cover
* bed ground
* bed hair
* bed head
* bed jacket
* bed linen
* bed load
* bed of justice
* bed of pelts
* bed of roses
* bed push
* bed sheet, bedsheet
* bed-sitter, bedsitter
* bed tea
* bed trick
* breakfast in bed
* bunk bed
* camp bed
* canopy bed
* capillary bed
* coal bed
* creek bed
* day bed
* death bed/deathbed
* divan bed
* double bed
* feather bed/featherbed
* filter bed
* flower bed, flowerbed
* four-poster bed
* French bed
* gatch bed
* get up on the wrong side of the bed
* go to bed
* go to bed with
* Hollywood bed
* hospital bed
* hot bed/hotbed
* in bed
* key bed
* make one's bed and lie in it
* make the bed
* marker bed
* Murphy bed
* nail bed/nailbed
* orthopedic bed
* out of bed
* oyster bed
* pencil-post bed
* pig bed
* pissy bed
* plank bed
* platform bed (see platform)
* procrustean bed
* put to bed
* red under the bed
* river bed
* roller bed
* sea bed
* shit the bed
* single bed
* sleigh bed
* sofa bed/sofa-bed
* take to one's bed
* tanning bed
* test bed
* truckle bed
* trundle bed
* twin bed
* wake up on the wrong side of the bed
* water bed, waterbed
* wet the bed
* you make the bed you lie in
Senses relating to a bed as a place for resting or sleeping.
# To go to a bed. (rfex)
# To place in a bed.
# To put oneself to sleep. (rfex)
# To furnish with a bed or bedding.
# (slang) To have sexual intercourse with.
Senses relating to a bed as a place or layer on which something else rests or is laid.
# To lay or put in any hollow place, or place of rest and security, surrounded or enclosed; to embed.
- (Francis Bacon)
# To set in a soft matrix, as paving stones in sand, or tiles in cement.
# To set out (plants) in a garden bed.
# To dress or prepare the surface of (stone) so it can serve as a bed.
# To lay flat; to lay in order; to place in a horizontal or recumbent position.
- Among all chains or clusters of mountains where large bodies of still water are bedded .
# To settle, as machinery.
- bedded hair
* bed down