Beauty vs Glamour - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between beauty and glamour
is that beauty
is the property, quality or state of being "that which pleases merely by being perceived" (Aquinas); that which is attractive, pleasing, fine or good looking; comeliness while glamour
is an item, motif, person, image that by association improves appearance.
As an interjection beauty
is thanks! Cool.
As an adverb beauty
is of high quality, well done.
As a verb glamour is
to enchant; to bewitch.
The property, quality or state of being "that which pleases merely by being perceived" (Aquinas); that which is attractive, pleasing, fine or good looking; comeliness.
* 1900 , , The House Behind the Cedars , Chapter I,
* 1988', "… '''beauty and recollection, like danger, glamour, greed, hunger- everything but disappointment and desire- were concepts belonging to other people.” -''Second Son , Robert Ferro
Someone who is beautiful.
- Warwick's first glance had revealed the fact that the young woman was strikingly handsome, with a stately beauty seldom encountered.
Something that is particularly good or pleasing.
- Brigitte Bardot was a renowned beauty .
- That phrasing is a beauty .
An excellent or egregious example of something.
(with the definite article) The excellence, e.g. the genius
- What a goal, what a beauty .
(particle, obsolete) A beauty quark (now called bottom quark).
Beauty treatment; cosmetology.
(obsolete) Prevailing style or taste; rage; fashion.
* Jeremy Taylor
- ''The beauty of the deal is it costs nothing!
- She stained her hair yellow, which was then the beauty .
* Adjectives often applied to "beauty": natural, great, real, physical, exotic, inner, spiritual, strange, divine, visual, heavenly, intellectual, facial, attractive, sensuous, sensual, seductive, musical, austere, alluring, mathematical, geometric, astounding, bodily, pictorial.
* gorgeousness, inspiration, loveliness
* (someone who is beautiful) belle, looker
* (something pleasing) gem, jewel
* See also
* See also
* repulsiveness, homeliness, ugliness
* age before beauty
* bathing beauty
* beauty consultant
* beauty contest
* beauty is in the eye of the beholder
* beauty is only skin deep
* beauty mark
* beauty pageant
* beauty parlor
* beauty quark
* beauty salon
* beauty school
* beauty shop
* beauty sleep
* beauty spot
* beauty strip
* California beauty
* Camberwell beauty
* line of beauty
* meadow beauty
* painted beauty
* raw beauty
* Rome beauty
* Rutland beauty
* Sleeping Beauty
* spring beauty
(Canada) Thanks! Cool!
- It's the long weekend. Beauty !
(Canada) Of high quality, well done.
- He made a beauty pass through the neutral zone.
* glamor (US) (Commonwealth-spelling widely accepted across the states.)
(countable) an item, motif, person, image that by association improves appearance
Witchcraft; magic charm; a spell affecting the eye, making objects appear different from what they really are.
A kind of haze in the air, causing things to appear different from what they really are.
Any artificial interest in, or association with, an object, or person, through which it or they appear delusively magnified or glorified.
(uncountable) Alluring beauty or charm (often with sex appeal)
- glamour''' magazines; a '''glamour model
* glamour model
* glamour photography
* glammed up
* glam rock
To enchant; to bewitch.