Fatlike vs Batlike - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between fatlike and batlike
is that fatlike
is resembling fat (the chemical substance) or some aspect of it while batlike
is having characteristics similar to those of a bat, usually used with reference to the flying mammal.
Resembling fat (the chemical substance) or some aspect of it.
Having characteristics similar to those of a bat, usually used with reference to the flying mammal.
* 1838: William Gifford, et al., The Quarterly Review , p. 113:
* 1916 ,
- ... ''they cling, like creepers or women, to the nearest support, to fly from that corroding ennui and listlessness, those tumults of the mind, which flit batlike amid the golden-groined ceilings, and cannot be dispelled by the lictor guard.
* 1953 , L. P. Hartley, The Go-Between
- He had told himself bitterly as he walked through the streets that she was a figure of the womanhood of her country, a batlike soul waking to the consciousness of itself in darkness and secrecy and loneliness.
* 1981 , James B. Twitchell, The Living Dead: A Study of the Vampire in Romantic Literature , p. 29
- There was a trap somewhere, I felt sure; and though I didn't know the term "hush-money," its meaning flittered, bat-like , about my mind.
Similar to that of a bat
* 1912 , Charles B. Hayward, Dirigible Balloons , p. 1:
- The most famous of these Los Caprichos is “The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters” (plate 43), which has a sky full of batlike creatures.
* 2006 , Les Beletsky, Birds of the World , p. 180:
- His sketches show the details of batlike wings which were to spread out on the downward stroke and fold up with the upward stroke.
- The Oilbird is one of the few bird species to use batlike echolocation to help navigate the night and cave darkness.