Pragmatic vs Awesomenessness - What's the difference?
As an adjective pragmatic
is practical, concerned with making decisions and actions that are useful in practice, not just theory.
As a noun awesomenessness is
(emphatic|nonce word|rare|nonstandard) awesomeness.
* pragmatick (archaic)
* pragmatique (obsolete)
Practical, concerned with making decisions and actions that are useful in practice, not just theory.
* The sturdy furniture in the student lounge was pragmatic , but unattractive.
philosophical; dealing with causes, reasons, and effects, rather than with details and circumstances; said of literature.
* Sir W. Hamilton
- Nor indeed are these restrictions pragmatic'' in nature: i.e. the ill-formedness of the ''heed''-sentences in (60) is entirely different in kind from the oddity of sentences like:
(61) !That man will eat any car which thinks he?s stupid
which is purely ''pragmatic (i.e. lies in the fact that (61) describes the kind of bizarre situation which just doesn?t happen in the world we are familiar with, where cars don?t think, and people don?t eat cars).
* M. Arnold
- Pragmatic history.
- Pragmatic poetry.
* (practical) down-to-earth, functional, practical, utilitarian, realistic
(emphatic, nonce word, rare, nonstandard) awesomeness
* 2006 : “
[email protected]]”, [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/PepperCascade?hl=en The Pepper Cascade (Google group)]: [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/PepperCascade/browse_thread/thread/ffbf25192682931/cf6b6494e7120d98?hl=en&q=%22awesomenessness%22#cf6b6494e7120d98 Swimming
* 2006 : “
- PS we still have the coupons, so we have to consider the awesomenessness to receive a discount coupon. please post with a reason why you should deserve a discount coupon.
CharlaX]”, [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion?hl=en Gmail Help Discussion (Google group)]: [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Gmail-Help-Organizing-Messages-en/browse_thread/thread/97e8590ab368f5ce/731323523aa93068?hl=en&q=%22awesomenessness%22#731323523aa93068 CHat(caht)
* 2007': “
- >.when ewe type him in the chat box his wings wiggle awesomenessness
Shantell Hoskin]”, ''[http://groups.google.co.uk/group/chocoluva4eva?hl=en Chocolate 4 Life (Google group)]: [http://groups.google.co.uk/group/chocoluva4eva/browse_thread/thread/d3b5b921c16044b1/4ebf929ac0e2585e?hl=en&q=%22awesomenessness%22#4ebf929ac0e2585e '''awesomenessness !!!! (thread title)
- awesomenessness !!!!
* (term) carries no additional semantic information compared with its antecedent awesomeness. Forms having been
triply] and [http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?hl=en&q=%22awesomenessnessnessness%22&btnG=Search&sitesearch= quadruply suffixed with also see occasional use; in pragmatic terms, this is equivalent to appending a long chain of exclamation marks after a statement to lend it emphatic force.