As an adjective automatic
is capable of operating without external control or intervention.
As a noun automatic
is a car with automatic transmission.
As a verb autoload is
(computing) to load automatically.
Capable of operating without external control or intervention.
Done out of habit or without conscious thought.
- The automatic clothes washer was a great labor-saving device
(of a firearm such as a machine gun) Firing continuously as long as the trigger is pressed until ammunition is exhausted.
(computing, of a local variable) Automatically added to and removed from the stack during the course of function calls.
(maths, of a group) Having one or more finite-state automata
- The reaction was automatic : flight!
* (without conscious thought) perfunctory, thoughtless, instinctive
* (capable of operating without external control) manual
* (without conscious thought) voluntary
* automatic transmission
A car with automatic transmission.
A semi-automatic firearm.
- I never learned to drive a stick. I can only drive an automatic .
* (car with automatic transmission) stick, stickshift; manual transmission; standard transmission
(computing) To load automatically.