Designed or executed in a particular manner or to a particular degree.
* 1811 , William Singers, "On the Varieties of Wheat, Barley, Oats, Peas, and Beans", Prize Essays and Transactions of the Highland Society of Scotland , page 73:
# Processed in a particular way; prepared via labour.
#* 1832 , James Justinian Morier, Zorhab the Hostage , page 39:
- A heavy rich loam'' is, perhaps, the best of any; but ''carse'' lands, and well worked and manured ''clay soils, are also very suitable.
# Decorated or embellished; embroidered.
#* 1803 , William Alexander, The Costume of the Russian Empire , page 84:
- ...the light and elastic spear, made of the India bamboo, and tipped with the most perfectly worked steel, which he now held in his hand...
Prepared so as to demonstrate the steps required.
* 1835 , R.H. Nicholls and Francis Walkingame, Taplin's Improved Edition of Walkingame's Tutor's Assistant , page 108:
- ...and many of them, at least when young, wear only a worked piece of linen over their head.
- Place each error opposite its supposed number, as in the worked example.
(label) To stand (at a place) or to (an opinion).
(label) To attend
* 1967 , The Rev. Loren Gavitt (ed.), Saint Augustine's Prayer Book: A Book of Devotion for members of the Episcopal Church , revised edition, West Park, NY: Holy Cross Publications, p. 8:
- A great part of the nobility assisted to his opinion.
- To assist at Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation.
, date=April 15
, author=Phil McNulty
, title=Tottenham 1-5 Chelsea
, passage=The referee seemed well placed to award the goal, but video evidence suggested the protests were well founded and the incident only strengthens the case of those lobbying for technology to assist
(sports) To make a pass that leads directly towards scoring.
A helpful action or an act of giving.
(sports) A statistic used in different sports to quantify the act of helping another player score points or goals; in baseball, an assist is defensive, allowing a teammate to record a putout.
- The foundation gave a much needed assist to the shelter.
- He had two assists in the game.