Assassination vs Homicide - What's the difference?
Assassination is a synonym of homicide.
As nouns the difference between assassination and homicide
is that assassination
is killing or murder for political reasons while homicide
is (uncountable) the killing of one person by another, whether premeditated or unintentional.
killing or murder for political reasons
- The assassination of the king occurred at night.
* targeted killing
(uncountable) The killing of one person by another, whether premeditated or unintentional.
(countable) A person who kills another.
(countable, US, police jargon) A victim of homicide; a person who has been unlawfully killed by someone else.
* 1996 , A J Holt, Watch Me [http://print.google.com/print?id=AeiWDMxtf70C&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&sig=58bpIF6WRwzfzHU-U8U9ZrEbME0]:
- “She was a hippie kid. How hard would you work a case like that?”
* 2003 , Ellen Perry Berkeley, Keith's People (ISBN 1930859449), page 58:
- “As hard as anyone else,” said Goddard. There was an irritated note in his voice. “She was a homicide'. She got what every ' homicide investigation gets.”
* 2004 , Jon Talton, Dry Heat (ISBN 0312333854), page 40:
- We don't even know the woman was a homicide . Didn't they say it was possible they both jumped?
- The medical examiner was behind on autopsies and cranky, so we didn't even know if the old guy in the pool was a homicide .
* (unlawful killing of a person by another) assassination, killing, first-degree murder (US; intentional''), manslaughter (''unintentional''), murder (''intentional''), second-degree murder (''US; unintentional )
* (person who unlawfully kills another person) assassin, killer, man-slayer, murderer
* (victim of homicide) murder victim
* culpable homicide
* unlawful death