Somewhat vs Approximately - What's the difference?
As adverbs the difference between somewhat and approximately
is that somewhat
is to a limited extent or degree while approximately
is imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
As a pronoun somewhat
is (archaic) something.
As a noun somewhat
is more or less; a certain quantity or degree; a part, more or less; something.
* (qualifier) summat (and variants listed there)
To a limited extent or degree.
, title=(The Celebrity
, passage=I had occasion […] to make a somewhat
long business trip to Chicago, and on my return […] I found Farrar awaiting me in the railway station. He smiled his wonted fraction by way of greeting, […], and finally leading me to his buggy, turned and drove out of town. I was completely mystified at such an unusual proceeding.}}
* 1590 , (Edmund Spenser), The Faerie Queene , III.12:
* Robert Trail
- Proceeding to the midst he stil did stand, / As if in minde he somewhat had to say […].
* 1851 , Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
- But this text and theme I am upon, relates to somewhat far higher and greater, than all the beholdings of his glory that ever any saint on earth received.
- Not seldom in this life, when, on the right side, fortune's favourites sail close by us, we, though all adroop before, catch somewhat of the rushing breeze, and joyfully feel our bagging sails fill out.
More or less; a certain quantity or degree; a part, more or less; something.
- These salts have somewhat of a nitrous taste.
A person or thing of importance; a somebody.
- Somewhat of his good sense will suffer, in this transfusion, and much of the beauty of his thoughts will be lost.
- Here come those that worship me. / They think that I am somewhat .
Imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
- In every box of matches there are approximately 40 matchsticks.
- Per 100g of chocolate there are approximately 11.6g of saturated fat.
- ...approximately 60 beats per minute.
* around, near, nearly, almost, about, loosely, roughly, close to
* accurately, definitely, exactly, precisely