Exactly is an antonym of approximately.
Approximately is an antonym of exactly.
As adverbs the difference between approximately and exactly
is that approximately
is imprecise but close to in quantity or amount while exactly
is (manner) without approximation; precisely.
As a interjection exactly is
(signifies agreement or recognition
Imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
- In every box of matches there are approximately 40 matchsticks.
- Per 100g of chocolate there are approximately 11.6g of saturated fat.
- ...approximately 60 beats per minute.
* around, near, nearly, almost, about, loosely, roughly, close to
* accurately, definitely, exactly, precisely
(manner) without approximation; precisely.
- Measure exactly so we can be sure it is right.
(focus) Used to provide emphasis.
- The edge is not exactly straight.
- It was exactly an Eastern gray squirrel.
- He divided the coins exactly in half.
- He did it that way exactly to prove the point.
- His complaint was exactly that she failed to meet the deadline by four days.
(Signifies agreement or recognition)
- So you're saying that we have only three days left? / Yes, exactly !