Exact vs Approximately - What's the difference?
As an adjective exact
is precisely agreeing with a standard, a fact, or the truth; perfectly conforming; neither exceeding nor falling short in any respect.
As a verb exact
is to demand and enforce the payment or performance of.
As an adverb approximately is
imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Precisely agreeing with a standard, a fact, or the truth; perfectly conforming; neither exceeding nor falling short in any respect.
Habitually careful to agree with a standard, a rule, or a promise; accurate; methodical; punctual.
* (John Milton) (1608-1674)
* 1661 , ,
- I see thou art exact of taste.
The Life of the most learned, reverend and pious Dr. H. Hammond
Precisely or definitely conceived or stated; strict.
* (William Shakespeare) (1564-1616)
- During the whole time of his abode in the university he generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study; by which assiduity besides an exact dispatch of the whole course of philosophy, he read over in a manner all classic authors that are extant
(algebra, of a sequence of groups connected by homomorphisms) Such that the kernel of one homomorphism is the image of the preceding one.
- An exact command, / Larded with many several sorts of reason.
* (precisely agreeing) perfect, true, correct, precise
* (precisely or definitely conceived or stated) strict
* spot on
* (precisely agreeing) inexact, imprecise, approximate
* (precisely or definitely conceived or stated) loose
* exact sequence
To demand and enforce the payment or performance of.
* Bible, Luke iii. 13
- to exact tribute, fees, or obedience
To make desirable or necessary.
- He said into them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
To forcibly obtain or produce.
- My designs exact me in another place.
- to exact revenge
Imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
- In every box of matches there are approximately 40 matchsticks.
- Per 100g of chocolate there are approximately 11.6g of saturated fat.
- ...approximately 60 beats per minute.
* around, near, nearly, almost, about, loosely, roughly, close to
* accurately, definitely, exactly, precisely