Identify vs Appreciate - What's the difference?
In lang=en terms the difference between identify and appreciate
is that identify
is to claim an identity; to describe oneself as a member of a group; to assert the use of a particular term to describe oneself while appreciate
is to increase in value.
As verbs the difference between identify and appreciate
is that identify
is to establish the identity of someone or something while appreciate
is to be grateful or thankful for.
To establish the identity of someone or something.
(biology) To establish the taxonomic classification of an organism.
To equate or make the same; to unite or combine into one.
* D. Ramsay
- Every precaution is taken to identify the interests of the people and of the rulers.
(reflexive) To have a strong affinity (with); to feel oneself to be modelled on or connected to.
* 1999 , Joyce Crick, translating Sigmund Freud, The Interpretation of Dreams , Oxford 2008, p. 117:
- Let us identify , let us incorporate ourselves with the people.
To associate oneself with some group.
To claim an identity; to describe oneself as a member of a group; to assert the use of a particular term to describe oneself.
- The dream is given a new interpretation if in her dream she means not herself but her friend, if she has put herself in the place of her friend, or, as we may say, she has identified herself with her.
, title=Youth Who Self-Identify as Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual at Higher Suicide Risk, Say Researchers
, date=Feb. 6, 2010
, magazine=Science Daily
, passage="The main message is that it's the interface between individuals and society that causes students who identify
as gay, lesbian, or bisexual the most distress," said study first author Yue Zhao.
* to ID
to be grateful or thankful for.
to view as valuable.
- I appreciate your efforts
to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect.
- You must learn to appreciate time
- To test the power of bees to appreciate color.
to increase in value.
- to test the power of bees to appreciate colour
- The value of his portfolio appreciated by 80% over eight years.
- lest a sudden peace should appreciate the money
* This is a catenative verb that takes the gerund (-ing) . See