Household vs Appliance - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between household and appliance
is that household
is collectively, all the persons who live in a given house; a family including attendants, servants etc; a domestic or family establishment while appliance
is the act of applying; application.
As an adjective household
is belonging to the same house and family.
Collectively, all the persons who live in a given house; a family including attendants, servants etc.; a domestic or family establishment.
* 1994 , Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom , Abacus 2010, p. 5:
* Jonathan Swift
- Although I was a member of the royal household , I was not among the privileged few who were trained for rule.
(obsolete) A line of ancestry; a race or house.
* 1592 , , IV. vi. 39:
- And calls, without affecting airs, / His household twice a day to prayers.
- In thee thy mother dies, our household's name, / My death's revenge, thy youth, and England's fame.
Belonging to the same house and family.
Of anything found in or having its origin in a home.
* Household Cavalry
* household deity
* household god
* household name
The act of applying; application.
An implement, an instrument or apparatus designed (or at least used) as a means to a specific end (often specified).
Specifically: A non-manual apparatus or device, powered electrically or by another small motor, used in homes to perform domestic functions (household appliance) and/or in offices.
An attachment, some equipment (or - piece) to adapt another tool or machine to such specific purpose
(lb) A compliance
- When the boy hid father's feared cane, his bum soon found out the hard way how many sturdy appliances''' at home can double as perfectly painful spanking ' appliance
* home appliance
* major appliance
* small appliance