As nouns the difference between appetizer and tapas
is that appetizer
is (usually|in the plural) a small, light, and usually savory first course in a meal while tapas
is variety of spanish small food items or snacks originally served with sherry.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* appetiser (Commonwealth only)
* hors d'oeuvre
Variety of Spanish small food items or snacks originally served with sherry.
* 1986 , , The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine :
Small food items generally.
- The snacks are called tapas because in the old days a piece of toast was served, too, so that you might have a "top" on your glass of sherry, a lid that would prevent the flies from getting into the glass.
- Izakaya food is basically Japanese tapas.
* small plate, small plates (see (small plates))