As nouns the difference between philanthropist and anthropologist
is that philanthropist
is a person who loves humankind in general while anthropologist
is one who is versed in anthropology.
A person who loves humankind in general.
A very generous person or institution.
* altruism (strong like of human race)
* misanthropy (hatred of human race)
* misandry (hatred of males)
* misogyny (hatred of females)
* philanthropic (loving human race)
* philandry (love of males)
* philogyny (love of females)
One who is versed in anthropology.
- In actual fact, it is hard to see how anyone could defend the prescriptive approach. In any other field of enquiry, it would be seen as patently absurd. What would we say of the social anthropologist who, instead of describing the way a given society is, sets about prescribing the way he thinks it ought to be? (We'd probably suggest he ought to give up Anthropology and take up Politics!) [...]
* cultural anthropologist
* social anthropologist