As a verb apportion
is to divide and distribute portions of a whole.
As a noun allocation is
the process or procedure for allocating things, especially money or other resources.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To divide and distribute portions of a whole.
Specifically, to do so in a fair and equitable manner; to allocate proportionally.
- The controlling party had apportioned the voting districts such that their party would be favored in the next election.
- The children were required to dump all of their Halloween candy on the table so that their parents could apportion it among them.
* (divide and distribute ): allocate, allot, dispense, parcel out, share out
* (divide and distribute ): amass, concentrate, consolidate, gather, reassemble
The process or procedure for allocating things, especially money or other resources.
- The allocation of new permits is on a first-come, first-served basis.