As adjectives the difference between extinct and alive
is that extinct
is (dated) extinguished, no longer alight (of fire, candles etc) while alive
is having life, in opposition to dead; living; being in a state in which the organs perform their functions; as, an animal or a plant which is alive.
(dated) Extinguished, no longer alight (of fire, candles etc.)
No longer used; obsolete, discontinued.
* Luckily, such ideas about race are extinct in current sociological theory.
- Poor Edward's cigarillo was already extinct .
No longer in existence; having died out.
- Indeed the very fact that the English spelling system
writes in there'' as two words but ''therein'' as one word might be taken as suggest-
ing that only the former is a productive syntactic construction in Modern
English, the latter being a now extinct construction which has left behind a
few fossil remnants in the form of compound words such as ''thereby .
(vulcanology) No longer actively erupting.
- The dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years.
- Most of the volcanos on this island are now extinct .
* (no longer alight) burning
* (having died out) extant
* active, dormant
Having life, in opposition to dead; living; being in a state in which the organs perform their functions; as, an animal or a plant which is alive.
In a state of action; in force or operation; unextinguished; unexpired; existent
Exhibiting the activity and motion of many living beings; swarming; thronged.
- to keep the fire alive'; to keep the affections ' alive .
Sprightly; lively; brisk.
Having susceptibility; easily impressed; having lively feelings, as opposed to apathy; sensitive.
- The Boyne, for a quarter of a mile, was alive with muskets and green boughs. -- .
As intensifier, of all living.
- Tremblingly alive to nature's laws. -- .
- Northumberland was the proudest man alive . --.
* As intensifier, used colloquially "man alive!", "sakes alive!".
* Alive always follows the noun which it qualifies.
* alive and kicking
* Christ alive
* dead or alive
* eat someone alive
* keep hope alive
* man alive
* snakes alive