(archaic) Pertaining to, made of, or resembling brass (in color or strength).
* 1786 , Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons , page 31.
- Brazen or rather copper swords seem to have been next introduced; these in process of time, workmen learned to harden by the addition of some other metal or mineral, which rendered them almost equal in temper to iron.
, author=Edgar Rice Burroughs
, title=The Gods of Mars
, publisher=The Gutenberg Project
, passage= ... an open sea, its blue waters shimmering beneath the brazen
Sounding harsh and loud, like brass cymbals or brass instruments.
(archaic) Extremely strong; impenetrable.
Shamelessly shocking and offensive; impudent; barefaced; immodest; or unblushing.
- Brazen enough to spit on one of her students during class and wipe it in with her hand.
* brazen age
* brazen sea
To carry through in a brazen manner. Generally used with out'' or ''through .
* W. Black.
- Sabina brazened it out before Mrs. Wygram, but inwardly she was resolved to be a good deal more circumspect.
* brazen it out
Tending or disposed to aggress; characterized by aggression; making assaults; unjustly attacking.
(label) Of code optimization techniques: exploiting every opportunity to be applied.
* 1996 , Tibor Gyimothy, Compiler Construction: 6th International Conference, CC '96, Linköping, Sweden, April 24 - 26, 1996. Proceedings, Volume 6 , Springer (ISBN 9783540610533), page 59
- an aggressive policy, war, person, nation
* 2001 , Paul Feautrier (edited by Santosh Pande and Dharma P. Agrawal), Compiler Optimizations for Scalable Parallel Systems , Springer (ISBN 9783540419457), page 173
- This paper describes how aggressive loop unrolling is done in a retargetable optimizing compiler.
* 2002 , Y. N. Srikant, Priti Shankar, The Compiler Design Handbook: Optimizations and Machine Code Generation , CRC Press (ISBN 9781420040579), page 465
- Since the most aggressive type of optimization a program can be subjected to is parallelization, understanding a program before attempting to parallelize it is a very important step.
* 2002 , Shpeisman, T. ; Lueh, G.-Y. ; Adl-Tabatabai, A.-R., PACT 2002: 2002 International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques : proceedings : 22-25 September, 2002, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA , IEEE Computer Society Press (ISBN 9780769516202), page 249
- However, aggressive compiler techniques such as loop unrolling, promoting of subscripted array variables into registers (especially in of subscripted array variables into registers (especially in loops) and interprocedural optimizations create heavy register pressure and it is still quite important to do a good job of register allocation.
* 2003 , Susanna Pelagatti (edited by Fethi Rabhi and Sergei Gorlatch), Patterns and Skeletons for Parallel and Distributed Computing , Springer (ISBN 9781852335069), page 182
- The Itanium processor is an example of an Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing (EPIC) architecture and thus relies on aggressive and expensive compiler optimizations for performance.
* 2011 , Wen-mei W. Hwu, GPU Computing Gems Jade Edition , Elsevier (ISBN 9780123859648), page 11
- This sensibly eases the programmer task and allows for more aggressive optimisations of the global program structure.
- The CUDA C code for the GPU, as well as the C and inline assembly code for the CPU, were highly optimized and aggressive compiler optimizations (-O4) were turned on.
* See also