Aver vs Affirmation - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between aver and affirmation
is that aver
is ice-floe while affirmation
is that which is affirmed; a declaration that something is true.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
From (etyl) aveir ((etyl) avoir), substantive use of the verb, from (etyl) .
(obsolete) Possessions, property, belongings, wealth.
From (etyl) .
to assert the truth of, to affirm with confidence; to declare in a positive manner.
* 1663 ,
* 1819 CE: Percy Shelley, Peter Bell the Third :
- Chiron, the four-legg'd bard, had both \ A beard and tail of his own growth; \ And yet by authors 'tis averr'd , \ He made use only of his beard.
* 1939 (MGM/Warner Home Video)
- The Devil, I safely can aver , / Has neither hoof, nor tail, nor sting.
* 1997 Frederic W. and Roberta B. Case, Trilliums , ISBN 0-88192-374-5:
- As Coroner, I must aver , I thoroughly examined her.
(legal) To prove or justify a plea.
(obsolete) To avouch, prove, or verify; to offer to verify.
- Small (1933) avers T. simile to be deliciously fragrant, a quality we have not noticed in our plants.
Related to .
(dialectal) A work-horse, working ox, or other beast of burden.
That which is affirmed; a declaration that something is true.
A form of self-forced meditation or repetition; autosuggestion.