Administer vs Administration - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Administration is a related term of administer.
As a verb administer
is to cause to take, either by openly offering or through deceit.
As a noun administration is
(uncountable) the act of administering; government of public affairs; the service rendered, or duties assumed, in conducting affairs; the conducting of any office or employment; direction.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* administre (obsolete)
To cause to take, either by openly offering or through deceit.
- We administered the medicine to our dog by mixing it in his food.
To apportion out.
- A noxious drug had been administered to him.
- A fountain administers to the pleasure as well as the plenty of the place.
- Justice was administered with an exactness and purity not before known.
To manage or supervise the conduct, performance or execution of; to govern or regulate the parameters for the conduct, performance or execution of; to work in an administrative capacity.
* Alexander Pope
- [Let zephyrs] administer their tepid, genial airs.
To minister (to).
- For forms of government let fools contest: / Whate'er is best administered is best.
(legal) To settle, as the estate of one who dies without a will, or whose will fails of an executor.
To tender, as an oath.
- administering to the sick
- Swear to keep the oath that we administer .
(uncountable) The act of administering; government of public affairs; the service rendered, or duties assumed, in conducting affairs; the conducting of any office or employment; direction.
(countable) A body that administers; the executive part of government; the persons collectively who are entrusted with the execution of laws and the superintendence of public affairs; the chief magistrate and his cabinet or council; or the council, or ministry, alone, as in Great Britain.
(uncountable) The act of administering, or tendering something to another; dispensation.
- Successive US administrations have had similar Middle East policies.
(uncountable, business) Management.
(uncountable, legal, UK) An arrangement whereby an insolvent company can continue trading under supervision.
- ''the administration of a medicine, of an oath, of justice, or of the sacrament.
- The company went into voluntary administration last week.
* supervision, conduct, management, regulation, organization, governing