From (etyl) .
(pharmacology) A substance used to treat an illness, relieve a symptom, or modify a chemical process in the body for a specific purpose.
- Aspirin is a drug that reduces pain, acts against inflammation and lowers body temperature.
- The revenues from both brand-name drugs''' and generic '''drugs have increased.
A psychoactive substance, especially one which is illegal and addictive, ingested for recreational use, such as cocaine.
* 1971 , , Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas , Harper Perennial 2005 edition, page 3:
- whence merchants bring their spicy drugs
* March 1991 , unknown student, "Antihero opinion", SPIN ,
- We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.
* 2005 , Thomas Brent Andrews, The Pot Plan: Louie B. Stumblin and the War on Drugs , Chronic Discontent Books, ISBN 0976705605,
- You have a twelve-year-old kid being told from the time he's like five years old that all drugs are bad, they're going to screw you up, don't try them. Just say no. Then they try pot.
Anything, such as a substance, emotion or action, to which one is addicted.
* 2005 , Jack Haas, Om, Baby! : a Pilgrimage to the Eternal Self , page 8:
- The only thing working against the poor Drug' Abuse Resistance Officer is high-school students. ... He'd offer his simple lesson: '''Drugs''' are bad, people who use ' drugs are bad, and abstinence is the only answer.
* 2009 , Niki Flynn, Dances with Werewolves , page 8:
- Inspiration is my drug'. Such things as spirituality, booze, travel, psychedelics, contemplation, music, dance, laughter, wilderness, and ribaldry — these have simply been the different forms of the ' drug of inspiration for which I have had great need
* 2010', Kesha Rose Sebert (Ke$ha), with Pebe Sebert and Joshua Coleman (Ammo), ''Your Love Is My '''Drug
* 2011 , Joslyn Shy, Introducing the Truth , page 5:
- Fear was my drug of choice. I thrived on scary movies, ghost stories and rollercoasters. I dreamed of playing the last girl left alive in a slasher film — the one who screams herself hoarse as she discovers her friends' bodies one by one.
Any commodity that lies on hand, or is not salable; an article of slow sale, or in no demand.
- The truth is...eating is my drug . When I am upset, I eat...when I am sad, I eat...when I am happy, I eat.
- But sermons are mere drugs .
- And virtue shall a drug become.
* Adjectives often used with "drug": dangerous, illicit, illegal, psychoactive, generic, hard, veterinary, recreational
* See also
* blockbuster drug
* club drug
* date rape drug
* designer drug
* disease modifying drug
* dissociative drug
* do drugs
* drug abuse
* drug addict
* drug baron
* drug dealer
* drug dog
* drug of choice
* drug on the market
* drug test
* fertility drug
* gateway drug
* love drug
* on drugs
* orphan drug
* prescription drug
* recreational drug
* small molecule drug
* street drug
To administer intoxicating drugs to, generally without the recipient's knowledge or consent.
To add intoxicating drugs to with the intention of drugging someone.
- She suddenly felt strange, and only then realized she'd been drugged .
To prescribe or administer drugs or medicines.
- She suddenly felt strange. She realized her drink must have been drugged .
- (Ben Jonson)
Germanic ablaut formation, cognate with (etyl) droeg, (etyl) trug, (etyl) drog, (etyl) .
* 2005 , Diane Wilson, An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers (ISBN 1603580417), page 193:
- You look like someone drug you behind a horse for half a mile.
- When Blackburn called, I drug the telephone cord twenty feet out of the office and sat on the cord while I talked with him.
* Random House says that and Oxford make no mention of this word.
(obsolete) A drudge.
* William Shakespeare, Timon of Athens
- Hadst thou, like us from our first swath, proceeded / The sweet degrees that this brief world affords / To such as may the passive drugs of it / Freely command, thou wouldst have plunged thyself / In general riot
(label) absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion, toxicity: A set of test categories used together in drug discovery to provide insight into how a pharmaceutical drug interacts with the body as a whole.