To take away by force; to carry away (a human being) wrongfully and usually with violence or deception; to kidnap.
, author=Jules Verne
, title=The Master of the World
, passage=That same night he had by force abducted the president and the secretary of the club, and had taken them, much against their will upon a voyage in the wonderful air-ship, the “Albatross,” which he had constructed.}}
(physiology) To draw away, as a limb or other part, from its ordinary position; to move similar parts apart.
(intransitive, reflexive, archaic) To hide, to be in hiding or concealment.
* 1691-1735 , (John Ray), The Wisdom of God Manifested in the Works of the Creation [http://books.google.com/books?id=rRI5AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA300&dq=intitle:works+of+creation+inauthor:ray&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mpnNUZHMJ4Pu0gGZo4GICw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=snippet&q=absconds&f=false]
(reflexive) To flee, often secretly; to steal away, particularly to avoid arrest or prosecution.
- the Marmotto , live upon its own Fat.
* 1848 , (Thomas Babington Macaulay), , Ch. 13
* 1911 , (Ambrose Bierce), (w, The Devil's Dictionary)
- ... that very homesickness which, in regular armies, drives so many recruits to abscond at the risk of stripes and of death.
To withdraw from.
* 2006 , Richard Rojcewicz, The Gods And Technology: A Reading Of Heidegger , ISBN 0791482308.
- Spring beckons! All things to the call respond;
The trees are leaving and cashiers abscond .
* 2009 , Sonia Brill, Relationships Without Anger , ISBN 144902789X.
- Modern technology accompanies the absconding of the original attitude.
(obsolete) To conceal; to take away.
- You cannot abscond from the responsibility both you and your partner owe to this event, and that includes dealing with anger issues and any other emotional issues that come with it.
(label) To evade, to hide or flee from.
* 2006 , Aldo E. Chircop, Olof Lindén, Places of Refuge for Ships , ISBN 900414952X.
- The captain absconded his responsibility
- If the distress situation is solved succesfully, the anonymous shipowner will reap the commercial benefit, if the situation ends in disaster, the shipowner will hide behind an anonymous post box in a foreign country and will abscond responsibility.