Necessary, essential for life or some process.
Elementary, simple, fundamental, merely functional.
- Flour is a basic ingredient of bread.
(chemistry) Of or pertaining to a base; having a pH greater than 7.
(slang) Vapid, boring, or uncool.
* 2011 , (Kreayshawn), "(Gucci Gucci)", (w, Somethin' 'Bout Kreay) :
- The Hotel Sparta’s accommodation is purely basic .
* 2013 , Sam Stryker, "
- Gucci Gucci, Louis Louis, Fendi Fendi, Prada / Them basic bitches wear that shit, so I don't even bother
Why Does Everyone Hate Anne Hathaway?", The Observer (University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College), Volume 46, Issue 101, 1 March 2013, page 11:
* 2014 , Trevor Thrall, "
- I'm not saying people are jealous of Hathaway because she is so perfect. Yes, she does have it all — husband, healthy career, good looks. But she doesn't do anything in an "awesome" way. She's basic .
Firing Line: Rowling says ‘JK,’ Ron and Hermione not meant to be", The Daily Campus (Southern Methodist University), Volume 99, Issue 54, 3 February 2014, page 4:
- And what can be said about Ginny? She’s basic . My guess is that she spends her time drinking pumpkin spice lattes and watching “Pretty Little Liars.” The Chosen One is way out of her quidditch league.
* See also
* (chemistry) alkaline
* (chemistry) acidic
A necessary commodity, a staple requirement.
An elementary building block, e.g. a fundamental piece of knowledge.
- Rice is a basic for many Asian villagers.
(military) Basic training.
- Arithmetic is a basic for the study of mathematics.
First according to historical or scientific records; original; indigenous; primitive.
* 1814 , , The Excursion , Longman et al. (publishers), [http://books.google.com/books?id=T18JAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA277&dq=aboriginal page 277]:
Living in a land before colonization by the Europeans.
- Green in the Church-yard, beautiful and green; / / And mantled o'er with aboriginal turf / And everlasting flowers.
(Aboriginal) [ ]
* (indigenous to a place) native, indigenous, autochthonous, endemic, original, first, earliest, primitive, ancient, primordial, primeval
An animal or plant native to a region.
* Charles Darwin
- It may well be doubted whether this frog is an aboriginal of these islands.
* Using uncapitalized aboriginal to refer to people or anything associated with people may cause offence.
* In Canada, style manuals recommend against using the noun Aboriginal for a person or people.
* See also the usage notes under Aboriginal .