An organ in animals that stores food in the process of digestion.
(informal) The belly.
(obsolete) Pride, haughtiness.
* 1590 , Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene , II.vii:
* 1613 , (William Shakespeare), , IV. ii. 34:
- Sterne was his looke, and full of stomacke vaine, / His portaunce terrible, and stature tall […].
* John Locke
- He was a man / Of an unbounded stomach , ever ranking / Himself with princes;
- This sort of crying proceeding from pride, obstinacy, and stomach , the will, where the fault lies, must be bent.
- a good stomach for roast beef
* 1591 , (William Shakespeare), , I. ii. 50:
- If after seven hours' tarrying he shall have no stomach , let him defer his meal, or eat very little at his ordinary time of repast.
(figuratively) Desire, appetite (for something abstract).
- You come not home because you have no stomach'. / You have no ' stomach , having broke your fast.
* 1591 , (William Shakespeare), , IV. iii. 36:
- I have no stomach for a fight today.
- That he which hath no stomach to this fight, / Let him depart:
* (belly) abdomen, belly, bouk, gut, guts, maw, tummy
* sick to one's stomach
* stomach lining
* the way to a man's heart is through his stomach
* stummy, tummy
To tolerate (something), emotionally, physically, or mentally; to stand or handle something.
- I really can’t stomach jobs involving that much paperwork, but some people seem to tolerate them.
(obsolete) To be angry.
- I can't stomach her cooking.
(obsolete) To resent; to remember with anger; to dislike.
* 1607 , , III. iv. 12:
- O, my good lord, / Believe not all; or, if you must believe, / Stomach not all.
- The lion began to show his teeth, and to stomach the affront.
- The Parliament sit in that body to be his counsellors and dictators, though he stomach it.
Of or pertaining to the abdomen; ventral.
- abdominal muscles
(ichthyology) Having the ventral fins under the abdomen and behind the pectoral fins.
- abdominal cavity
(ichthyology) Ventral, in describing a fin. [ ]
(zoology, obsolete) Belonging to the order Abdominales of fish.
* (of or pertaining to the abdomen) ventral
* abdominal ring
(zoology, obsolete) A fish of the order Abdominales.
* (fish) Cypriniformes.